August 12, 2014

BC Mures Point Guards: No. 6 Polyák László

In my opinion one of the best signings of BC Mures, in the preseason, was Polyák László. The young Hungarian guard comes with several advantages. First of all he has Romanian citizenship, his parents originating from Romania, which is very important because of the 6 foreign players rule of the Romanian Basketball Federation. He was an important part of the Hungarian youth squads between 2009 and 2013 taking part in five European Championship campaigns and qualified to Divison A in 2013 with the U20 team.
Last season he played  for Hungarian outfit Marso Nyíregyháza finishing in last place in the first league with a 5-17 win-loss ratio.
Playing for Nyíregyháza
He can play positions 1 and 2 in offense which is a great help for coach Srecko Sekulovic because he can substitute either Edi Sinadinovic or Matija Ceskovic in the rotation. He has good court vision and a decent three point shot. In defense he can guard any opponent due to his size and muscular build, qualities which don't hinder his speed. He follows the ball actively and has many rebounds due to his good positioning and intelligence. 
His statistics at he U20 EC in 2013 included 6.6 points, 4.8 rebounds and 1.4 assists in 24 minutes per game. For his club he averaged 4.7 points, 2 rebounds and 1.3 assists in 19.4 minutes per game.

Polyák László (second from left) at the 2013 EC victory ceremony in Pitesti (Rou)
Below you can read a short interview with Polyák László.

1. What made you choose Tirgu Mures as your next team?
Coach Sekulovic saw me at a friendly tournament, he liked my playing style and mentality, and he wanted me to be part of his team for this season. I know that this is a very competitive league and I know Srecko to be a heavy handed and good coach and I can progress under his hands. Mainly this is why I made this choice.

2. You were an important part of the Hungarian youth National Team. Now that you are playing in Romania, what are your hopes to be selected in the senior National Squad?
Yes, I took part in five youth European Championships (U16,  U18, U20) and I mostly had an important part in the team. For the senior team there is much work to be done but I am hopeful that I am on the right track.

3. What is your favorite position on the court, point guard or shooting guard?
I like to play point guard, but I don't have a problem if I have to play shooting guard.

4. What are your strong points on the court?
In my opinion my strength is that I am physically strong and still athletic given my height, and I can also be useful in defense.

5. A few words for the fans.
 I hope that we will have many fans at our games and they will help us as a sixth player to achieve a good result this season.

No comments:

Post a Comment